genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I know exactly what I am talking about and it is obvious that your principal means of supporting your "good idea" is to resort to insult, snark, and bogus factoids.

The vehicles traveling in the so-called blind spot of a vehicle are not limited to being only those that will pass within 3 or 4 feet laterally distant from left or right side of the vehicle.

The current blind spot warning systems used by the various car manufacturers are not all identical in operation; though none of them are associated in any way with the door locking mechanisms as proposed in your "idea", perhaps for good reasons.

They usually scan the entire adjacent lane for approaching passing vehicles and are designed to warn the vehicle operator before making a lane change into the path of a car in the adjacent lane. Some don't work at all unless the vehicle with equipment is traveling at some specified speed
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...warning-guide/

Your proposed idea of a detector system could often prevent people from safely opening car doors while parked on busy (lots of traffic in the adjacent travel lane) city streets that allow parallel parking.

Your proposed idea would also have to figure out how drivers and/or passengers can open the doors from the outside, if your proposed detector system is always active locking the doors whenever something is in the actual door zone near the car.

If you find entertainment value in discussions of over-the-top "ideas" allegedly related to bicycling and/or transportation issues, I recommend that you peruse the archives of the LCF list over the last several years, it should be right up your alley
At one point, the proposed idea of a "horseless carriage" was considered outlandish, as was "a distributed power network" or "electric candles."
At one time, a clock, stable enough to calculate latitude, was worthy of a king's prize... These days you can know your precise location nearly anywhere on earth, via a handheld device.

Try not to be such a naysayer of things could well come to be, within even your lifetime.