Old 10-14-19, 09:06 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
How far back can one safely go with Campagnolo track ends?

My Mercian was ordered with clearance for 28 mm tires and mudguards. The mudguards attach with through-bolts that run up into a boss on the underside of the fork crown and a hole drilled into the underside of the rear brake bridge. This has worked beautifully for many years, but now I think I would prefer to run 32 mm tires. This is not a problem up front - there is sufficient clearance there. The rear is the problem, specifically if I want to run fixed on one side and a Dos Eno 17/19T freewheel on the other.

If I leave the chain length as it has been, the axle sits a bit to the rear of midpoint on the track end. With 28 mm tires I can run 42x16, 42x17 and 42x19 with no issues.

If I leave the chain length as it has been, and the axle in the same place, with 32 mm tires I can run 42x16, 42x17 is very close to the end rear fender bolt, and 42x19 is a no-go.

If I add ONE link of chain, I can get all three gears to work with 32 mm tires - BUT for the 42x16, the axle is at the end of the rear-opening Campagnolo track ends, such that while the axle itself is entirely surrounded by the track ends, the skewer nut and clamp extend back past the end of the clamp surfaces. There's still 3/4 of the clamping action happening, but it's back there over an unsupported end of the track ends, not triangulated by the stays.

Is this a problem? Would this create stresses that could damage the frame or the Campagnolo ends?

I have a plan B that I think would work - when I replace my mudguards I could simply mount them with the supplied hardware and get some of Sheldon Brown's Fender Nuts and dispense with the through-bolts.

Thoughts?