View Single Post
Old 04-22-20, 07:05 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
It looks like San Diego is going to open the parks. We will see what that includes and maybe it will include Fiesta Island.
Some of the beaches a couple hours away are opening, but they are only opening for exercise. You can walk, run, swim, surf, but you cannot fish or layout. Chairs, blankets, umbrellas are all prohibited. Seems like a fair compromise to me.

Originally Posted by caloso
That's how I understand it. I think that social distancing does also limit the number of infections, but that's a secondary effect. The most important thing is to spread them out over a longer time period.
Originally Posted by big john
The theory is to prevent overwhelming the system but the hope is with more time a treatment or vaccine may be developed, or the virus may mutate into a less dangerous form, or maybe not everyone will get it after all.
Yes to both of these responses. (I'm not in public health anymore, but I was for about 10 years, working with a lot of epidemiologists.) The goal is to not overrun the health care system, give time to develop better ways to combat it, and hopefully reduce the number of people who contract it.

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I feel like I just sound like an ******* when i say these things. Or a fear monger.. Saying the same number of people will get sick (or on the same order of magnitude I guess) scares people it seems.
Nah. I told my wife I fully expect to get it at some point. I just don't know when or how bad. I'm more concerned about mine and my wife's parents, who are much more likely to suffer greatly from it. Though, my wife is pretty concerned about me since I am asthmatic.
Likes For topflightpro: