Old 12-11-19, 06:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
˄˄˄˄
Originally Posted by mw22224444
...After living in Colorado and several other places you realize that this place is the absolute most dangerous area to be on a bicycle.

Now, if you are out in Lexington or the Western burbs that's a different story....
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for the reply, but I can't think of another "best city," better than Boston according to my personal preferences, cycling from Kenmore Square...
Your criticism is directed towards urban riding, i.e. mostly cycle commuting which I consider enviable compared to other cities.

Nonetheless, for road cycling, the intent of this thread, I specifically posted:
Originally Posted by RupertCornelius
...Where in the US has the best road cycling?
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days

It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist [and residential] destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth.
...I have ridden out West in the Desert, Rockies, and vast Plains, and while interesting and scenic, the views are unchanging for miles, and I really enjoy the intimate quirkiness of Metro Boston:
…Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain would be a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter. So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here.

Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in
Finally, while Massachusetts does have a few named mountains, those of Vermont and New Hamphire are within a few hours drive, and for many in Boston they are routine one day or weekend trips.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-11-19 at 09:42 AM. Reason: insertesd quote by the OP, RupertCornelius