Old 12-16-19, 12:23 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
It seems most people have made the switch to 25mm tires. But much of the cycling press would like us to believe that if 25mm is good, 28mm must be better! I'm about to mount up a set of tubeless tires on my general, all-purpose road bike. If you've tried 28's, I'm curious what you think of them. Do you run them the same pressure you would run 25's? Do you like them for the comfort or the speed? Do you think the comfort is worth the loss of speed (if any)? And are you tubed or tubeless? Let's keep this to paved roads (of whatever quality). Gravel changes the equation in a lot of ways. Have you tried 28mm tires long term on pavement? Do you like them? Do they live up to the hype?
i’ve tried 28s. I’d say that i prefer 28s to 25s (or 23s) on my road bikes (sworks venge and sworks tarmac). I run my 23s @ 100psi, 25s @ 90psi, and 28s @ 80psi. I really like the feel of cornering on 28s. As far as speed goes, on flat itt rides, i find 28s slightly faster than 25s. I notice the extra weight of 28s under heavy accelerations like sprinting and coming out of corners. I haven’t gone tubeless on any of my road wheels (fatties yes). I’ve only tried 1 version of 28s, conti gp4k2.