Old 03-17-20, 06:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
And I am open to doing exactly that, I can understand the benefits of the 3 bolt- rigid sole design but having the misfortune of the occasional one or two long walks home I’m not so sure that’s the best set up for me. Just not sure which way to go with this.....
In my opinion, two bolt (MTB or touring) shoes are fine for anyone but the most demanding rider and the walkability is a good thing. A good quality MTB shoe has a very rigid sole, comparable to a good quality road shoe. The main differences being the tread which makes the shoe a little heavier (everything else being equal), and the platform of the pedal.

Three bolt "Road" pedals s have larger contact platforms which some people feel is better for road bike use. Myself? I use and have used both real "three bolt" road shoes and pedals and "two bolt" pedals and MTB shoes on my road bikes for many years and have been very satisfied with my MTB shoes and pedals on my road bikes. To me there's no functional difference while riding, only while walking.

I have both big name brand "two bolt" pedals (Shimano) and cheaper pedals (Wellgo) which use compatible cleats. Both work fine and have lasted a long time. I actually have "two bolt", two sided pedals as well as one sided pedals that accept the same cleat in both Shimano and Wellgo. Everything works just fine and has been very durable for me.

If you want a two bolt/MTB type shoe with a larger road-type pedal, check out the Shimano SPD road pedals (not SPD-SL). They use the two bolt cleat "SPD" cleat as their two sided pedals and have a larger platform. There's several options to look at.

If you decide to go that way, and change your setup to two bolt pedals, cleats and shoes, you can easily sell your current Look pedals. You don't have much invested in the current 3 bolt system anyway - you'd have to buy cleats and shoes. You'll get cleats with the new two bolt pedals so that will largely mitigate the cost, if you follow me. You buy shoes either way.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-17-20 at 06:18 PM.
Likes For Camilo: