Old 05-14-20, 09:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I would also be interested to know if and how often a cyclist should perform full maintenance of his TL tires (unmount, clean & remove dried up sealant, remount & put fresh sealant)?

Some of us will say never since the tire will wear out before needing this, but some riders do not ride much and they can go through a set of tire every 2-3 years instead of 6-12 months. I can only imagine how heavy and thick can the dried up sealant become inside the tire if a person needs to refill it so frequently.
Most of the weight of sealant is water - 1-2 fl oz of sealant is pretty damn light when it's all dried up. If you're riding at a decent rate, I wouldn't bother with unmounting and cleaning out at all. If you're only putting enough miles to wear out a set of tires every two or three years, I'd wonder if flat frequency is even worth the bother of going tubeless vs tubes. If flat frequency is still problematic, you probably don't need to worry too much - you'll be losing sealant a little at a time, any way, and you'll probably have tires beat up enough to warrant replacing before the tread wears out.
Likes For WhyFi: