Old 10-14-19, 01:34 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
..Then I pointed out that less considerate cyclists will chain their bikes to anything, trees, signs, pipes, and block the sidewalk for pedestrians and those with mobility issues like wheelchair and walker users. In the case of Walmart bikes were chained to railings around emergency exits and side doors...
That's great that you attempted to contact businesses about installing bike racks; it'd help out other cyclists, as well, if they do decide to install bike racks.

However, I don't think there's a need to "throw other cyclists under the bus" in the process by criticizing them for locking their bikes on other things when there aren't any bike racks for them, in the first place, or if there aren't enough bike racks. It's not other cyclists' fault, if there aren't any bike racks to lock their bike; some people make do as best they can, with what is there.

Not everyone wants to leave their bike unlocked to anything, so that it could be stolen (bikes in my area that are stolen are, mostly, the ones that aren't locked to anything, like a front porch), or feels like bringing in their bike into places, where it'd be cumbersome; crowded, with other people with shopping carts; constantly having a hand on it, to prevent others from taking it; having to deal with constantly being stared at for bringing in your bike or worrying that employees/managers will assume that you're trying to shoplift a bike from their store (e.g. worrying that they might call the police behind my back--without talking to me--who might then point a gun at me, throw me to the ground, arrest me, etc.), etc. Plus, not all restroom stalls are large enough to fit a bike.

I understand what you mean about locking bikes around trees being harmful to them and how bikes locked to signs could block the sidewalk for pedestrians and disabled users. That's why I'd try to lock my bike on the grass, behind a sign, so that it doesn't block the sidewalk for others (not trying to purposely be "inconsiderate," at all. Naturally, I'd love it if there were more bike racks, but it's just a fact of life that, in the U.S., businesses don't prioritize bike racks; so, I just deal with it as best as I can).

Sometimes, businesses place bike racks in inconvenient areas. For example, one local library has a bike rack that is around a quarter of a mile away from the entrance, on the side of the building, where a person is unable to keep an eye on their bike from the library windows and where there aren't as many people around (where a bike thief wouldn't be noticed, much). Personally, locking the bike closer to the entrance, against a sign, where it's easier to keep a safer eye on through the windows, and where there's more foot traffic (where others might or could keep an eye on whether or not someone is trying to mess with your bike) feels better to me.

Last edited by anon06; 10-14-19 at 02:08 PM.
Likes For anon06: