Old 05-20-19, 01:37 PM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
If you are totally unfamiliar with this type of bottom bracket I'd suggest finding a video on YouTube to familiarize yourself. In answer to your question, they can be serviced/greased. As long as the bearing surfaces on the cups and spindle races look good they will last a long time. Many came with caged bearing balls and going to loose bearing balls will often make them last longer. Especially those with slight pitting. It's great to have the right tools but I have used a big adjustable jaw wrench for the fixed cup with good results. Perhaps there is a bike coop close by with the right tools? The lock ring/nut on the adjustable side looks like it has a gash in it. As if someone used a chisel to tighten? Back in the 80's when I was poor and ignorant (not so poor now, lol) I would loosen and tighten the lock ring with an old flat blade screwdriver placed in one of the cut slots and a good sized hammer. Of course, getting the right adjustment was then pretty much a two person job. Having the correct tools is much better.