Old 11-11-19, 10:50 AM
drewtk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by xbartx
Just spent the yesterday at four different bike shops looking at different bikes. The Cannondale was a nice bike but didn't fit, they didn't have any other models in my size and it was the only one at that price (turns out it was a 2019 closeout). Anyway the last bike shop was the furthest away but the most helpful and had a bike that fit me nicely. The salesman asked a lot of questions that were helpful but kind of thew in more options. He was the first salesman that asked about my road bike ( I happened to have it in the back of my car) He suggested trying larger tires first before getting a new bike, he thought I could get 28mm to fit.
I plan on going that route for now and see how it goes.
28 mm is not enough for a riding real gravel, IMO. I'd want at least a 40, and I currently run a 45mm.

I have the aluminum Topstone 105. I wasn't going to get a gravel bike, but I found this one used for sale locally for pretty cheap. If I was doing to buy new, I'd get the Revolt Advanced 2. Carbon frame and well equipped for a good price.

I recently weighed my medium Topstone, and it came out to 22.5 pounds with pedals. About what I expected.