View Single Post
Old 09-04-19, 06:39 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
EDIT: This is NOT a slam on the OP, and you would be surprised at how often milder forms of this issue show up.

More times than I care to count, I was on club rides with folks who had transitioned from spin bikes to the road, or hadn't ridden since childhood, and would find myself wincing when the group tried to start from a standing stop at a traffic signal. Sure, this is a basic skill, but how often is it taught? I used to bite my tongue as I watched awkward mounts and dismounts, but since the OP asked -

1. Straddle the bike with both feet on the ground, over the top tube with the saddle behind you
2 Squeeze your front brake lever to immobilize the front wheel
3. Pick one foot to stay on the ground and the other to start pedaling with. Clip in with that foot, the other foot remaining on the ground.
4. Fixed-gear specific - Still squeezing the front brake to stabilize the bike, push slightly down and forward on the handlebars and rotate your clipped in foot to around a 2:00-3:00 position, then set the rear wheel back down.
5. When ready to roll, release the front brake, rise and stand on the clipped-in foot and push off with the other foot. As your clipped in foot descends, find your saddle. Now you have both hands, backside and one foot in place as you locate the other pedal with the free foot and clip in as smoothly as possible.

While learning this and internalizing the movements, focus on making all motions as smooth and efficient as possible. You don't jump on the bike, you flow up onto it and then glide into movement. My observation is that other road users who see you start like this will treat you more respectfully.

Stopping?
Slow down and unclip the pedal you are going to plant on the ground.
As the bike slows to a stop come forward out of the saddle and follow that unclipped foot to the ground as you apply the last little bit of brake power to stop the bike. You stop, your free foot plants you, you hold onto the front brake to further stabilize you, then rotate the cranks to a happy point and unclip the other foot and remove it from the pedal. Dismount.

Last edited by rustystrings61; 09-04-19 at 09:15 AM.