Old 10-29-20, 11:20 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
Generally, it felt to me like Italian uses a relatively small number of adjectives relative to English, ‘brutto’ and ‘bello’ chiefly. I haven’t been there in 25 years, so I don’t know if that’s the case any more.
Forgot to respond before, but suffice to say that they certainly have plenty of adjectives to chose from, plus the aforementioned absolute superlatives to modify them further and provide more specificity. Plus, they have the super useful word "proprio" that is sorely lacking a good English equivalent (at least that I know of), which is partly responsible for the horrific overuse and misuse of "literally" these days.

Yes, it is true that bello and brutto are very common, but what would they have to say about the way most American English speakers use the word "like"?

Originally Posted by CargoDane
And translated into English in the context, it would be "for the street" and "for the track". Not "in favor of the street" and "in favor of the track". Neither is it "professional street", "professional track".

If you talk about "level" and differentiate that from the usage to denote "professional", please do tell what other thing than "professional" "pro" can stand for? What are the other "levels" that is in no way related to "professional"?

Edit: Pro or con: For or against.
I'm not sure you interpreted my post the way it was intended to be interpreted (my fault, because it wasn't well written). It isn't about translation "in context." Granted, I'm not familiar with this specific brand and their naming policies, but I would be really surprised if the intention was to communicate "for the street" or "for the track" by using the term "pro."

It is very common for a model name to have a modifier tacked on at the end to indicate a higher spec. Or the "pro" itself could be a model name. Either way, they added the "strada" and "pista" at the end to indicate the intended use, and those words alone take care of that. The "pro" had nothing to do with the intended use.