View Single Post
Old 04-22-20, 07:57 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have 4 bikes. My first one that I've had for over 15 years is a Walmart Mongoose Blackcomb, it's almost 40 pounds. I'm keeping this bike because it's nice to use in winter and I don't care much for it now. I mean, the ride is nice with the dual suspension but it's not even worth selling. I could probably get like $75 for it. I put hybrid tires on it, the ones that are slick in the middle and have knobs on the sides. I do have to say that this bike rides the best, soaking up all the road bumps, potholes, etc. I do have fenders and a rear rack on it.

I road this bike and the FX1 to work several times back to back and the FX1 was maybe 1 or 2 minutes faster which surprised me since it has front and rear shocks which robs your pedal strength with each stroke. I think the reason for this was because with the mongoose I didn't go around any potholes, cracks, etc. whereas the FX1 I did because I didn't want to bend a rim so it slowed me down a bit.

My next bike I got was a Trek FX1 two years ago, it's one of the cheapest ones Trek sells, has V brakes. I put fenders and a rear rack and ride it to work 6 miles each way when the weather is nice, which I do as much as I can in spring, summer, and fall.

Next up I got a Yuba Mundo cargo bike to haul groceries and also my daughter is almost 6 so she is almost too big for the kid bike trailer. Yuba was having a sale on this bike, I think it was $100 off. My daughter just learned how to ride a bike and she actually did 4 miles recently just riding around in a parking lot. With the cargo bike I can take her to my parents house 6 miles away (she's too young to actually ride that far and not be totally wiped out when she gets there) and also there is a campground 20 miles away and the route is 25% through neighborhoods and the rest 75% of the way on a railroad track that was converted to a bike path so it would be cool to go camping on this bike.

On the Trek FX1 on a 6 mile commute I average 13mph but can do 20mph with no problem but cannot go over 25mph no matter how hard I peddle in a straight line. I wanted to go a bit faster so I was looking online at Specialized Allez VS Allez Sport but they are in the $1,000 range.

So I went on Craigslist and picked up a 2010 Motobecane Nemesis for $350, just got it today. It's an internet bike and I'm pretty sure the frame is really a 2004/2005 Fuji Aloha frame but who really cares? The seller says it weighs around 15 pounds, I'm not sure how true that is because the stock weight on the 49cm is 18 pounds and this is the 58cm size but I have never picked up a lighter bike in my life. I didn't ask him if he did any aftermarket parts on it or not but I will weigh it soon. I'm going to be commuting on this bike to work when it's not raining, so I'm not putting a rack or fenders on it. I'm going to get a mid frame bag, probably a 4.5 L one to carry my lunch, etc.

So you can see each bike serves a different purpose and I don't see myself buying any more.

Last edited by The Big Wheel; 04-22-20 at 08:30 PM.