Old 09-20-20, 02:49 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by TVR80
For as long as I can remember, I have needed to periodically extend my legs to "crack" my knees, and I think it's hindering my ability to ride. Has anyone ever had this condition? When I say "crack", I don't mean like crack your knuckles. It isn't audible, but it's a similar sensation.
I feel that sort of "cracking" when I occasionally straighten out the legs. Have had it for as long as I can remember. But it's never encumbered me during exercise. Feels better after the straightening-out, to be sure, but only on a handful of occasions has it felt uncomfortable enough to straighten it while I've been doing things.

I notice it while driving a motor vehicle, too. The comfortable seating position is at a spot where the legs are bent at an angle somewhat greater than when cycling at nearly full extension on the stroke. Often, during long drives, I straighten-out a leg, then the other, then it feels fine for the next half hour to hour.

Never was serious enough to even mention it to the doctor. So, have never done anything about it.

I always figured it was some misalignment or minor growth in the cartilage area of the knees, or some interference with the ligaments or tendons in that area occasionally "snapping" over some protrusion. Though, obviously that's a guess. I've experienced it on rare occasions cycling for long periods, running longer than an hour, sitting driving in a car for an hour+, etc.

Don't recall ever hearing from another person of a similar thing. Although, people to stretch out during all sorts of activities, so it's a likely bet that many have minor instances of this from time to time.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 09-21-20 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spelling