Old 04-09-20, 08:25 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I think this is different worlds for different racing classes. World tour, P/1/2 and maybe 3, 4/5, and weeknight worlds. All different I think.

After my incident, I'm probably going to dip back in slowly once the Covid is over. Either breakaway tries or really long surges for a line (like 500m to 1km). Probably even just long tries in weeknight worlds until I get some confidence. Just going to be too gun shy after eating ****.

I'm only in 4/5. I'm pretty darn sure if I could get 100 feet gap with between 500 to 800m I could probably make it on my 1min power. If not, I'd only drag 1st and 2nd with me and string out the rest.

In the race with the incident, the strategy WAS going to pay off perfect. There's a pretty easy corner with about 3min to go. I was in the front 5 wheels at the corner and yelled "freaking GO, dig!!!". We got about 100 yards on the group and held it to the 200m where I crashed. There were only three of us then, those two side by side and me behind licking my chops. Caught wheel, crash. If I didn't eat it..........that was game over. But, strategy was point.

It was too flat a race to do my normal weeknight worlds game. Weeknight worlds has a little 2min hill before we come into the finish. I can recover pretty well from digs, somehow. So usually there I put in a hard dig to make the heavier riders burn a last match. This is an "easier" A group weeknight worlds in town with good hills. So I can hurt the sprinter bigger rider early and often. Meaning, by the last 1km and little sprint, they've nothing left.

The out of town worlds ride, I haven't done enough to get the feel for it. It's pretty darn flat and some talented riders show up to that one sometimes, so usually I'm just trying to make the break of 6 to 8 and surfing wheels. It'd take a monster effort to get away near the end in that group.

I do want to try in 4/5 to get away with just under a 1km to go a few times. On training rides riding pretty hard I can usually put in a 600w+ dig for around 45sec to 1min. That's usually good for over 30mph, meaning a minute for just under 1km. Plus, I feel like my jump is pretty good due to being a touch lighter.

I work out this idiotic math with my local KOM tries. Checkout the leaderboard times then workout your 'power duration curve' point and you've got your target.
Likes For burnthesheep: