Old 12-18-18, 01:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Smart cards are a good idea to control access. In a campsite what are you controlling access to? Washrooms? Drinking water? Lockers, as noted above? A gate that gives access to a secure campsite? Or maybe you could unlock things with your phone, power points, lockers, etc. Log in with your phone , pay a small fee and have access to power or whatever.
I'd rather not lock restrooms and water fountains. But, I suppose one could use smart cards for showers.

My first thought was very low key camping, allowing access to bike camping in small roadside parks (a car can drive 50 miles to the next campground, but bikes really would benefit with greater camping access).

Frankly, I rarely shower when camping. All I want is a place to pitch the tent and a restroom as needed. Electricity is a nice bonus.

Then the thought of lockers, both for camping, and simply using the parks and beaches. Bike lockers would be nice so one can deal with gear securely rather than simply using padlocks and bike racks.

Padlocks on the lockers, yes, but people crack padlocks. And, then there are the abandoned locks, or people using the lockers not for the intended purpose (so the state parks dept would have to crack them).

So, then the idea of smart lockers. One pre-registers, pays camp/access fees (hopefully minimal), and gains access. One can track them. No worrying about use other than touring, etc. Not even needing to carry locks. Who tours without room for a credit card?

Cell Phone Blue-Tooth lockers are the hottest thing, but that requires a functional cell phone (and no leaving the cell phone to charge). On the other hand, a smart card is easy to deal with.

There has been an emphasis on making smarter driver's licenses. So, perhaps one could have an option to use a smart driver's license or a state issued access card.

Ideally everything would be networked so cyclists would know where available lockers were, and the parks department could monitor that they aren't suffering from overcrowding too frequently. Even electronic check-in to camp sites.