Old 12-31-20, 11:44 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by VinceInSeattle

I was thinking about Force etap, maybe even 1X. Simple, clean, fewer wires, and smart shifting. You can get the 1X groupset for $850 to $1050. But then I need a new wheel and probably new crankset and bottom bracket, and if I went Force all the way, I'd be looking at $1800 for sure. I don't want to go Di2 - either external wires or drilling the frame. Now I'm thinking that I'll ride what I have through the winter and early spring, and overhaul the entire thing when the weather is bad. I bet the bottom bracket grease is dry after 30 years! Then see what's in the market for the spring season. My guess is Shimano will introduce 12 speed Micro Spline and wireless for Dura Ace, but that will also be prohibitively expensive. I don't know if SRAM will ever bring etap to 11 speed on a "normal" freehub with "normal" BB and $150 cranks, but probably not. So I will probably be looking at a new 105 or SRAM Rival groupset later in the spring. Not sure but I think I'd like the SRAM shift mechanism better than Shimano. SRAM Rival is from 2014 though, seems long in the tooth.
$850 to $1050? For 12 speed? What does that include? I assume you're still going to use rim brakes, so shifters, crank, bb, rd, and cassette? Do you have a link?

I would highly recommend testing out the 105 R7000 groupset. Functionally, it is almost on-par with mechanical dura ace, just heavier and not as "nice". The shift mechanism is obviously personal preference, though.

Also, you could go with a Rival 1 groupset and just use a GRX 1x crankset which uses the ubiquitous Hollowtech II.