patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gurana
I don't wear the LIVEStrong bracelet because, honestly, it would have been just about the only cancer research support I'd ever make. It simply wouldn't have been a big part of who I am, so I didn't see a reason for me to wear it all the time. Enough people have them, so it's not like it's about 'getting the word out'. I make my token donation to the LAF every November for the CFC (government charity drive), but other than that, I'm not a big cancer research person.

I do, however, give a lot of blood to the red cross. I wear a red 'giveBLOOD' bracelet, because I consider it a big part of who I am. I've been wearing it for about two years now. Usually people will ask me, "red... what does that one stand for?" At first, I simply said, "giveblood. I got it for donating with the red cross". Inevitably, I'd get the responses such as "Oh, like those lance armstrong bracelets?" or "isn't that kind of riding on the coat tails of those yellow lance armstrong ones?". Well, they are, but I don't really see it as a necessarily bad thing. Now, when/if I'm asked, I usually head those questions off by responding with, "I got it from the red cross for donating blood. You should schedule yourself to donate sometime too. It doesn't take much time, and it could really help other people out..." I've yet to get any comments about the band when I put it that way.

In a couple of more years, I expect it's not going to be a big deal in any case. There will be a new ribbon/bracelet/armband/lapell pin/whatever that will have become the banner for whichever charity. Some of us will still be wearing wrist bands, others of us won't. It is a fad, regardless of your intentions, and eventually it will pass.
This may be true in one sense, but on the other hand cancer is not a fad, it's a disease that touches EVERYONE. Including the poster above, sad to say, sooner or later, almost inevitably (look up the statistics, they're scary). And then the whole outlook on LAF bracelets may change again.

We're all bent out of shape about potential terrorist attacks that MIGHT kill more Americans. But cancer IS killing MILLIONS of us each year. Figure that logic out. I can't.