Old 09-07-19, 07:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I sometimes take my Serfas SL-255 AA-battery headlight as a flashlight/safety flasher on walks. Any headlight with side ports like the Serfas or Light & Motion Urban series would be okay.

But none of my bike headlights or safety lights is really ideal as a walking light. Too many button presses needed to get to the desired steady or flashing mode, and some require a long button press to switch modes.

An ideal walking light would let the user decide the default start-up mode, and be quicker to switch between steady and flashing.

The Blackburn 2'Fer clip-on lights are good for attaching to clothing, backpack or purse straps, even to a hat. Four modes, steady/flashing white and red. Excellent helmet lights to be seen, and the steady white is useful for viewing or reading up close -- not a headlight but bright enough to read a map. But it requires multiple button presses, long presses and isn't handy for quick on/off use.

The next best would be my Vivo Bike Illuminati light (sold under other names, mostly all discontinued now). Instant on, no long presses needed, switches quickly between steady high/low and flashing. After almost four years of use on nearly every ride the button is getting a little finicky but it's handy, compact and very lightweight. Not a great headlight -- the beam wasn't bright enough and cast an irregular pattern due to the oddly shaped reflector and lens. But a very good to-be-seen light, with large side ports to enhance visibility. I've worn it on my helmets for years.