View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 10:29 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
When's the last time you heard of any motorist being charged? Typically unless there is excess speed, drugs or alcohol involved, then drivers aren't charged irrespective of the mode of conveyance of the deceased. Do we really want to criminalize human error?

If someone accidentally discharges a firearm and it kills someone 9/10 they are charged with manslaughter or at the very least criminal negligence. Why is owning a car any less of a responsibility then a firearm? It's always "It wasn't my fault, I didn't mean to" yet someone's family is destroyed. Now I understand that it's not always the motorists fault. But I have seen way too many motorists driving aggressively and recklessly towards cyclists in the past few years. Even myself I have had them swerve at me for no reason other than to get some kicks. Heck last year I was standing on the side walk holding my bike and a truck drove over the curb onto the sidewalk barely missing me. The driver yelled some type of profanity and then drove like a complete psychopath away! I reported him but never heard back from the Police.

If you are driving recklessly and unaware of your surroundings and you hurt someone. Yes you should be charged.