Old 04-21-21, 05:42 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 1,439 Posts
Risk assessment -- radial laced wheels

I've got a pair of wheels that have high flange Campagnolo hubs laced to Fiamme tubular rims. Great, right? The trouble is, the front wheel is radially laced and the rear wheel is radially laced on the non-drive side. I've had them sitting in my garage for a few years, lacking the temerity to ride on them but also reluctant to give them up.

Now I find myself in the position of wanting to build a set of clincher wheels for my De Rosa. I have a set of high flange Record hubs in a box in the garage, but the rear hub is French threaded. So, I was thinking about how I could cheaply procure a high flange Record rear hub with English or Italian threading and I remembered the wheels described above. Hmmm....

This, finally, leads me to my question. Would you trust a hub that you knew had previously been radially laced to a rim?

I have no idea how much, if at all, it was ridden like that. The spoke tension is fairly low. The bike they were on was small, so probably the rider was light?

Just to add to the appeal of this thread, here's a pic of the bike the wheels were on, which has long since been passed on to @Andy Antipas