View Single Post
Old 10-03-19, 08:43 PM
cuyd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
To be honest it's bit of both. As I said I don't want to spend much on it but I would like to keep it so I am trying to balance it out. I got some tools and things freely available including some paint/de-ruster leftovers and basic electric tools hence some methods are more appealing. At this point I am trying to figure out which paint to use - starting with either 2K zinc phosphate epoxy primer or 1K zinc phosphate alkyd primer.

UPDATE:
I found PPG 2K zinc phosphate epoxy primer, industrial grade, normally used in shipwright. Could also get PPG 2K polyurethane finish, together total paint cost would be around $25 and probably I wouldn't even use 1/3 of offered can.

The guy selling those also offered special 2K epoxy primer for heavy salt/water/air isolation(no zinc) for same price and $7 marine 1K zinc phosphate primer. To be honest I like those marine paints because according to PPG they seem to work well in wet and salty conditions and if I am about to make this bike back to work then it will be my bad condition/winter/scrap bike that I don't mind tossing around. Did anyone try proper 2K paints on bicycle or is normal 1K primer enough?

UPDATE2:
I found a can with some leftover "Roof Guard"-like liquid. Would that be good internal cover on top of phosphoric acid? I was thinking about linseed oil/putty in first place but I would have to buy it while "Roof Guard" is at hand.

Last edited by cuyd; 10-04-19 at 12:33 PM.