Old 03-03-19, 01:25 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Compare the incidence of DUI to close passes of bikes ... compare the harm done. Alcohol is a major contributor to accidents and fatalities ... probably the biggest single factor, anyone who wants to google the NHTSA numbers, can."
I could be mistaken, but thanks to DUI checkpoints, and the efforts of groups like MADD, I'm pretty sure that DUI's are actually decreasing.

if a car gives me two-and-a-half feet and gets a ticket ... to me that is a huge and stupid waste. If the cops have nothing better to do in that town, lay them off and cut taxes.
Two-and-a-half feet is way too close, and those motorists DO need be pulled over and ticketed.

Almost everyone gives me plenty of room. occasionally a driver will try a dumb move and run out of room, and cut it a little close---two feet or so---but that is understandable.
No, it isn't nor is it acceptable. They are NOT supposed initiate a pass unless it is SAFE to do so.

Only Very rarely do I meet a real butthole who simply won't allow safe space ... and how many police hours would it take to catch one of those in the act? I have not been badly buzzed in several months (Easter morning, in fact) and only twice in the last year that I can recall. How many cops would have to travel how many miles of road to catch that act?
A year without being buzzed? That's pretty good. I do not know how many it would take, but if it saves just one life it is worth it.

And, as others have said, if someone sees the cop, likely s/he will behave.
Hence it being an UNDERCOVER operation, i.e. the cop on the bicycle is NOT in uniform.

There is a three-foot law right now pretty much everywhere in the U.S. Have people been lobbying to have it enforced more tightly? Have any locales made big efforts to enforce it more tightly?
Sadly, not as many as should be. And as most of us know, the faster the passing vehicle is, or the longer that it is, the MORE space the operator needs to leave between them and us.

As I said, the law is only as effective as its enforcement, and it would be a very hard law to enforce.
Actually, no it isn't. CB HI has given an excellent way of enforcing it.

Y'all fight all you want. Until you actually get a program in place, don't bother fighting with me.