Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
It's a shame that SRAM bought Powertap & then immediatly discontinued the C1 chain ring & the $350 price point it sold at so that it wouldn't compete with their Quarq offerings at 2x the $$$

Fwiw: Lacing in a new hub may/may not be about the same cost & save all the troubles of crank compatibility. I for one like the idea of the meter not being a more-or-less "permanent" part of the bike. You can always keep the wheels for future bikes & the possibility of using q-rings/ossymetric/oval rings of different sizes is preserved, should you decide to ever try. (Which I suggest you do. They're awesome.)

My wife & I had a set of P1 pedals for our tandem. Neither one of us liked them. They worked fine but the SPD-SL/Look Keo road cleats is just something neither of us could stand...That & the battery life was terrible.
Did you use the C1? Very few people seemed happy with them.

Part of the problem with the hubs is that it disallows using the same PM on a wheel-off trainer, as is becoming popular, and isn't as permanent as you might hope with changing brakes, axles, tubeless, freehubs, and so on. Much of it depends on how many bikes you have and regularly ride. For me and my wife, we'd rather have two bikes with their own PMs and never worry about it, and if that means running Ultegra or 105 + PM instead of DA, that's a fine allocation of resources.