Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
RChung, the other guy was suggesting that it's common for one leg to produce significantly more power than the other -- and went further to say it could vary back and forth; some days the left might come on strong, but wait, here comes the right, and so on. That doesn't make sense to me, but it may well be for some people; I don't know. Maybe you've got a scatterpoint and a linear regression on it.

I was just saying that in my experience, I didn't see any significant difference at any point between my left and right pedal strokes, and am happy with a Stages. It always connects. The battery lasts a long time, they're pretty cheap, etc.

In your chart above, some of the Stages plot points are more accurate than some of the SRM plot points, and SRM is always held up as the gold standard. So, I think it's a decent argument to say that a single-sided power meter, whether it's a pedal or crankarm, can work just fine -- especially for someone like the person who started this thread.
I absolutely change from 52%L to 52%R depending on fatigue and output. Sometimes it’s higher than that... and that’s average for a ride, not specific moments.

Funnily enough, the people who are most adamant that single-sided is accurate are the ones with the least data to support it.