Old 07-07-20, 10:06 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I could just replace what I have with new.

Alternatively, there are similarly sized tires by Rene Herse -

Chinook Pass: 700C X 28 mm
Cayuse Pass: 700C X 25 mm

Anyone ever use these Rene Herse tires? How were they? Did you have the standard or ultralight casing?
On my 72 Italvega Super Speciale with sloping crown, there is tons of clearance vertically so being a bit heavier, I opted for the Bon Jon Pass 700C x 35 Extralight, all Compass for now. Rode 4 tires over the last 3 years, 3 Eroicas. The last pair have 1500+ miles on them and they still look very good, only 1 flat in the last 3 years. At first I used the Schwalbe tubes but I wasn't terribly impressed with them and the removable core actually caught me the night before my first Eroica while transferring a presta adapter. I've used some fairly generic tubes from Performance before they closed so still have a number of them. My LBS helped me mount them on my Mavic MA-3 rims with relative ease. They also put Stan's sealant into them and so far, so good. They ride very nicely at 45 front/52 rear and that was ratcheting down on pressure from originally 60/65 when I started with them. Glides over rough surfaces, corners well, low rolling resistance, still gives a very nice ride. Only downsides are taller vertically so pedal overlap, need to deflate or remove one brake pad to fit into Campagnolo Record side pulls, increased standover, plus higher gearing if that is an issue - on Eroica climbs, probably lose 1 tooth equivalent on the back. I recommend them highly but they aren't inexpensive as you know but sometimes you do get what you pay for. I've had no problems with the tan sidewalls other than needing to clean them periodically.

I also have a pair of the 700C x 32 Stampede Pass Extralight that I will also use with a later Super Speciale / Superlight frame with flat crown and less clearance. I'm at the point in my life where a few bucks here or there is not an issue if I get the qualities out of the tires or parts I want. For those on a budget, the standard casing is a good place to start. Hope that helps.