Old 07-08-20, 08:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets?
Originally Posted by Chubby715
I only carry a spare tubular in my saddle bag, so am curious if other riders here have recently added a face mask to their bag (or jersey pockets)?

I usually do a 90 minute loop by my house so never stop, but was thinking I should carry a mask in case I need to get a ride home from Uber/Lyft due to a mechanical failure.
Originally Posted by 2cam16
No,because mine is always hanging off my ears/face for easy access.
I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My riding (commuting) has been through Boston, Brookline, West Roxbury, Dedham and Norwood, mostly on lightly trafficked roads with rare cyclists on the opposite side, and a small fraction of my routes on the lightly cycled Jamaica Pond / Muddy River MUPS.

I wear a mask, but when riding I lower it below my nose.

With the mask over my nose at rest, I have some fogging of my prescription eyeglasses, though the moisture is ventilated while riding, but breathing is improved through unencumbered nostrils. During the recent “cold” snap [May 15], the mask indeed was a chin and cheek warmer.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
quiet day on the Minuteman & saw a new sign

There have been recent reports of vigorous law enforcement of wearing masks, e.g. a young mother arrested in the Brooklyn subway for lowering her mask to answer her phone (not necessary IMO). If this starts to occur in Boston, I hope my slightly lowered mask we’ll give me enough “cover” to avoid being stopped.

I do wear the mask when riding because if I want to enter an enclosed space.e.g. a store or Commmuter Rall car, it's cumbersome to remove my helmet with the chin strap over my ears, to secure the ear elastics of the mask, but so easy to just raise it above my nose since it is in place already.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-08-20 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added photo
Likes For Jim from Boston: