View Single Post
Old 07-26-20, 01:26 PM
WillBradley1

Bikes: Sid Standard Superbe (1981) - Benotto Modello 1700 Pista (1976) - DBS damesykkel (1960)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How to save badly drilled track fork

Hi there,

Looking for some advice about my options with a badly drilled fork brake hole on an old Geoffrey Butler fillet brazed track frame I just bought. The paint was proper nackered but it had super nice fillet brazing and going cheap on eBay so I couldn’t resist. It was looking very sad. I have built it up with tubular rims on an old single speed torpedo hub (very fun to ride). One day I’ll repaint it and make it beautiful

So it seems the previous owner has drilled the hole in the fork way too low, and actually slightly angled down meaning the springs of the calliper I tried actually just dragged on the tire. It measures around 34mm reach.

my options as I see it:

1. Just accept 2 rear brake system, seems dangerous though. (Calliper and coaster brake)
2. Fill the hole with steel bar, braze in place, drill new hole 3/4mm higher. I think just for the front hole, so solve the tilting down, and slightly tilt back up.
3. Buy new fork
4. Maybe ultra short callipers do exist. Shortest I have found are diacomp aero, but even they are not quite enough.

I think I most want to go with 2, filling the hole and redrilling, but keen for suggestions!

will