Old 08-01-20, 05:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I haven’t read the book, but remember the buzz when it came out. I somewhat disagree with the premise. I am a musician who plays in a regional orchestra (Not one of the big boys). There is a local trumpet player named Alan Vizzuti. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Vizzutti
Talking with him, he was born with natural high range. He never had to work on it. He also has amazing pitch. Never had to work on it. Also his sound is incredible. He pretty much sounded great from the beginning. According to Al, he never really had to work at it. Now these are things the rest of us lesser players have had to spend years developing. He spent that time working other things, like being able to play the Carnival of Venice and its variations with his trumpet upside down. For an endurance athlete, if you have the ability to recover quickly for example, you are able to work much harder than everyone else. Now, other athletes may gain that ability after many years, but the person born with propensity for recovery has an advantage.

I'm not necessarily sure you entirely have the premise of the book. It's really that there are a wide variety of factors that influence greatness. Including, most importantly, relational factors. Kids who grow up in countries or programs that have high levels of any skill set have to elevate to the level to compete. Be it music, art, soccer, cycling, doctoring. Greatness inspires greatness. That isn't to say everyone is a blank slate, but if a skill isn't nurtured it has a much lower likelihood of going anywhere.