View Single Post
Old 02-16-21, 03:20 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I spent hours Sunday and yesterday, poring over Ebay listings, looking for a nice matched wheelset for the Cannondale. I also took the RX100 hub apart, the one that felt 'gritty', or 'crunchy'. The fact that I could to this without cone wrenches suggests part of the problem was that the non-drive side cone wasn't properly locked in. So I looked at a bunch of videos and pages on servicing Shimano hubs, and the solution occurred to me - rebuild the RX100 front hub with new bearings and grease (the cones look good), and pair it with the aesthetically-similar Ultegra rear wheel. They're both bright hub/anodized rim, both straight-gauge spokes, and the slight difference in rim profile between the Mavic 195 front and the MA3 rear is not so obvious at a distance. And it means I can have a working bike sooner, and cheaper.

I also realized I'd NEVER rebuilt any of the hubs on my bikes, even the 1995 Dura Ace hubs on the Ritchey, which still spin astonishingly smoothly. And I realized I should probably rebuild any old wheels I bought off Ebay anyhow. SO I bought cone wrenches, ball bearings, and grease! Wish me luck.
An axle vise will make the job so much more pleasant.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=axle+vise&...P%2FONECOL.jpg