Old 02-26-21, 09:02 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by Futurecat

Q1) Can I just unbolt the inner ring (30) from my current triple (52/42/30) and use the remaining two rings as a double (52/42)? I would use a 111mm Centaur Bottom Bracket instead of the current 115 Centaur Bottom Bracket to account for the removal of one ring.

Q2) If the above is not possible, I have see on ebay a true Veloce double 53/39. Can I use my 53 chain ring from my current triple on the new double? I have read somewhere that the BCD (Bolt Chain Distance) may be different? Any ideas?

The reason I ask is because the Campag Derailleur documentation states that there should be a max difference between Front and Rear teeth of 22 teeth.

If none of the above are possible, then I guess I need find some after market outer chain rings.

@akjphil Good to hear! Please keep me posted on progress.
I gave up on standard 135mm BCD(bolt circle diameter) cranks a few years ago after my 65th birthday. I first went to a 52-36 mid compact Chorus crank for the bike I take on trips but I found that the sort of hills I did in France were just too much using a 13-26 cassette. That is when I bought the 12-29 Miche cassette that is still on the bike. However, the mid compact crank was still not enough for a trip I took to Provence that year. I was going to go away last summer, so I bought a full compact 50-34 Chorus crank, but never got the chance to try it on the long climbs we did 2 years ago. It did work very well on the much shorter climbs we have in the Montreal area. This year I will try the 12-30 cassette I just bought. If it works I should be good for the next time I try a climb in a really mountainous area with 10+ km climbs. Rather than trying to work with a 52-42 or even a 53-39 setup, you might think about a mid compact. Campagnolo makes a Centaur 11 speed crank that will work well with your 10 speed drivetrain(both of the Chorus cranks I bought are for 11 speed but work perfectly with my 10 speed drivetrains) This would require new Ultratorque bottom bracket cups, but they are inexpensive, less than the older square taper bottom bracket that you have now