View Single Post
Old 04-04-20, 04:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I like Brooks saddle. It lasts a long time unlike foam/plastic junk that deteriorates too soon and is thrown into a landfill afterwards.
That may be true for some, but it hasn't been for me. I still am using the "foam/plastic junk" saddle that came on my 1990 Cannondale crit bike and was planning to use it again on my spring tour on that bike before the pandemic cancelled the tour. After 30 years the cover does have a ton of micro cracks, but it is still pretty comfortable after at least a hundred thousand miles. The Brooks B17 that preceded it didn't suit my bottom after it broke in and was the Brooks was pitched after a very short life. That was in the late 80s so my memory is hazy, but it was probably about 2 years old.

In general I have gotten good life out of the most foam/plastic saddles I have used unless they were damaged by catastrophic contact with asphalt or concrete in a crash or otherwise subjected to something other than normal wear and tear. A few of the cheapest ones on family member's bikes didn't do as well, but even they lasted many years.

I have broken the rails on a few mountain bike saddles, but that is a different issue.

Here is that "foam/plastic junk" saddle when it was 22 years old getting ready for a ride on the Southern Tier. It is now 30 years old and still comfortable, but has a few more micro cracks. I am not sure who made the saddle, but it was rebadged as "Cannondale Competition".

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-04-20 at 04:35 AM.