Old 02-11-20, 10:08 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yesterday, I had a stop to make on the way to class so I took the extreme eastern route along 1st Ave. 1st is one of the few avenues in Manhattan that I find acceptable, so it was fine. There was rain in the forecast, but I thought I would take my chances, and that pretty much paid off. No rain on my way in. My 1st Ave ride felt fine, but I see my GPS app says my average speed was low. It's because of all the lights I had to stop at. My western route is on a MUP, and I often don't have to put my foot down at all. But really, it was fine.

On my evening ride, it was raining, and it was after dark. It wasn't terribly cold, but I did get wet. After warming up, I felt physically fine, but having bad vision and with the impaired vision that drivers have in those conditions, I decided to take the MUP route for safety. I'm glad I did. The path was so empty. I rode slowly because of the rain. My front tire somehow got caught in some kind of rut that I didn't see, but it was short, and I managed not to lose traction. It felt like a close call.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.