Old 02-23-20, 07:06 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by gregmacc
Thanks Alan ... When you mention the airport I presume you mean Dulles (international) ... At this stage we plan to stay a couple of nights at the Marriot there (in the interests of keeping it simple, getting our bearings post jet lag, assembling bikes etc.). We would need to work out a cycle route from there, east to the city and then start heading north on the C and O canal path. We wouldn't need a hotel for a few nights after that so I suppose some of the canal campsites heading north would do the trick? Catching up for some local navigation assistance would be great if you were available. We would also be interested in any route suggestions you might have heading into Wisconsin from Chicago.
In terms of getting the most enjoyment from our available riding time, does it make sense to do the trip from Pittsburgh to Chicago by train?
While I agree with Alan that it would be preferable to arrive in the Washington area at DCA airport versus IAD (Dulles), there are few nonstop flights from LAX or SFO (your most likely ports of entry if coming from Australia) to DCA. If you are arriving at Dulles, I would dissuade you from staying at the Marriott there because you're far from everything. It's about a 45 km ride (mostly on the W&OD bike trail) from IAD to Washington. DCA is only about 4 or 5 km from Washington. If you put your bikes together and want to get into the city but don't want to bike that distance, you can ride to the nearest Metro station at present, which is Wiehle-Reston East station, about 14 km from Dulles airport.

Be aware that the campgrounds along the C&O Canal are primitive campgrounds, with nothing available but a place to pitch a tent, and water available typically with a pump. No showers or any other services. The first few kilometers when beginning on the C&O Canal can be ridden on the paved and parallel Capital Crescent Trail. When you get to Fletcher's Cove (there's a footbridge across the canal), you need to cross onto the C&O Canal towpath because the 2 trails will soon diverge. Much further west is the Western Maryland Rail Trail, 22.5 miles/36km long paved trail parallel to the towpath. After riding on the bumpy and/or muddy towpath, this trail is a nice respite.

Western Maryland Rail Trail - Mid-Atlantic Rail Trail

Yes, I would take the train from Pittsburgh to Chicago.