Old 08-03-20, 11:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I spoke to an LAPD officer that I know and he said identity theft is so huge, so prevalent that they don't usually get involved unless big money has been stolen or someone has been hurt.
A couple weeks ago, I got a text that an $8 purchase had been made in Australia on one of my credit cards. Normally, when you call an issuing bank about something like this, it's bing-bang-boom and they're happy to shut it down.

When I called this time, US Bank/REI card, it was like pulling teeth. "Are you currently traveling?" Uh, during the pandemic? No. "Were you in Australia?" Uh, during the pandemic? No. "When was the last time that you used the card?" I don't know - it's been several months. "With which vendor did you last use the card?" I don't know - it's been several month. "Are you going to file a police report?" Over an $8 charge? Do I need to do that in order to dispute the charge with you? "Well, it is a felony." So do I need to file a report? "No, but if you do, we need to have the case number." Okay, if I decide to file a police report about the $8 made by a person in Australia, can I just call you back with the case number? "Yes, you can do that." Okay, why don't we go with that route for now.