Old 09-29-18, 08:05 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Calculating speed from GPS has its own problems. Some computers and phone apps use both GPS and sensors, and this combination improves accuracy.

My app was set to use a small sampling period for displaying speed. As a result, the speed it displayed went up and down wildly, showing speeds I know I wasn't hitting, both too high and too low. I increased the sample period to 50 seconds, and that solved that problem, but now I don't know how fast I've been going for the last 15 seconds. It's too bad. I strongly suspect that when I end the ride, software on the server recalculates speed from all the data points I've provided, because it looks about as accurate as possible. But one problem which can't be fixed is that I ride in NYC where there are many tall and dense buildings. The buildings create reflections, and it shows me zigzagging through buildings and onto the river, which I am definitely not doing. The bigger the deviation, the higher the incorrect speed. It has even shown me to make bursts of speed up to 50 mph while on flat ground. Because these bursts are short, they probably don't throw off my average too much, but max speed becomes a useless metric.
What app/phone are you using? My experience with GPS speed is it is pretty accurate and doesn't jump around (must have a stabilizing algorithm).
On my old phone it missed some parts of the route and just assumed a straight line when it re-connected to GPS, that happened hiking in the forest. but with new phones this wasn't a problem.
similar problems with old phones in big cities driving a car where it assumed I'm some hundred feet elsewhere. but with new phones the problem is minimal.

My maximum speed (on Strava and Samsung Health app) is never higher than i think it was.