View Single Post
Old 01-28-22, 07:50 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 540 Posts

Here's my current riding footwear stable. I like vintage bikes so also like vintage shoes to match.

The first road bike I built up had SPD-SL pedals, that is the Sidi's in the middle on the back row. My second bike was a single speed which I got the brown Maresi shoes 2nd on the left on the back row for, they look battered and worn and have done over 25,000 miles but on the inside are fully sculpted to my foot and seem indestructible. They are SPD's. My third bike was a vintage Eddy Merckx and I wanted white pedals with blue highlights to match the build, and so after scouring eBay I got some Look Delta pedals that matched perfectly. My fourth bike was my multi coloured Simoncini, and again I wanted some matchy pedals and again the best looking ones I found were Look Delta pedals.

At this point Look Delta pedals had established dominance in my stable, so I thought I'd try and stick to one type of pedals for any future bikes so I didn't have to have separate sets of shoes for different cleats....cos I sure as hell can't be bothered to change cleats each time I want to ride a certain bike.

Tick followed tock followed tick followed tock, and the bike accumulation continued and I now have 7 bikes with Look Delta pedals, 1 bike with SPD-SL pedals, 1 bike with SPD pedals and 1 bike with old style clips and straps. I would change the Shimano SPD-SL's on my Denti to Look pedals, as all my geared bikes run Campagnolo so I am kind of irked that it has Shimano pedals, but they've been in there so long now they've totally seized in the carbon cranks and I can't budge them, so for now I'm still running just one pair of shoes with the SPD-SL's.

However I have still managed to keep acquiring new shoes so I think I'm doing it wrong., but there's some nice vintage ones in there. The Stephen Roche Vittoria's on the back left, some Tony Martin world champ stripes Sidi's 2nd from right on the back row, the Duegi's on the front row in the middle are lovely soft leather and fit so well, and my most recent purchase was the vintage Adidas Vuelta's on the front left. Unless I manage to forget my eBay password I'm sure I'll manage to add to this pile. And obviously I'll be crying if I can no longer get Look Delta cleats or pedals and may eventually have to change pedals and cleats on my fleet at some point in the future, but for now I've come this far down the Look Delta rabbit hole that I might as well stick with it for now.
Likes For botty kayer: