Old 08-08-20, 10:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
... but I already know it will get dinged up so I don't bother using it as it adds a fair about of both time and bother to the process. Instead, I just insert padding between the metal parts. One downside of the BIke Friday case is that it is bigger than 62 linear inches by a bit. But, the international rules are different than the ones used in the US. Also, I've never had anyone measure it.
Same here on the padding, I do not put sleeves over the frame tubes, instead just put padding between the parts before I zip tie it together so the parts do not rub on each other.

Touring bikes are supposed to show some scrapes and nicks.

I was on a van supported tour a couple years ago, two of the group had Ritchey Break Away bikes, their cases are a few inches over the 62 criteria. One of them said that on one occasion, he had to pay the oversize fee, the other one said that he had never been charged the oversize fee. And both of them had traveled a lot. Since then I bought a Break Away bike, but have not flown with it yet.

I carry a luggage scale. My S&S bike and the case exceeds 50 pounds, I carry the rear rack, pedals and saddle in my other checked bag but I use the scale to double check every time I travel. I try to carry the least amount of weight that I can when I walk through the airport in my carry on or personal item, thus I try to load up the checked bags to 48 or 49 pounds each.