Old 04-07-21, 01:25 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Any Surly riders? LHT vs Cross vs Straggler?

I saved my 1980s Nishiki Sport from a backyard and built it up through years of thread clicking around here, but the frame just snapped so I'm grieving and looking for a new frame / ride. I've always loved the look and idea of Surlys. I measured my bike, while it was (by any fit chart) too big for me I loved how it felt and rode after a slew of upgrades. Having a lot of trouble finding LBSs with them in stock AND in my size to try out...so I might have to go a little blind. Typically I like to take medium-hard effort rides for a half or full day...30-40 miles is a "normal" ride but do like 60-80 miles when the weather's nice. I used to be a mid-Clyde, but now I'm a belt notch below an ultra and need to get back down to midlevel. Thanks Covid. Mostly I'd classify my approach to biking as "utilitarian" - I don't want something that'll make me a target for theft, but willing to put money into the ride quality if it means I smile every time I get on.

I measured the geometry of my current ride, looks like a 62cm. I'm about 6' 1" or 6' 2" with shoes, and both myself and my Nishiki have a 34.5 standover height. So I'm looking at 62cm or more likely 60cm Surlys. I'm trying to decide between a Cross Check, Long Haul Trucker (or Long Disc Trucker), or Straggler (which I never heard of but seems intriguing). Mostly I'll be on road, however the roads in NYC can be gravel like at times! I may also go on a tour in the distant future, so I'd like the option of being able to either put panniers or tow. I have a good handbuilt wheelset I'd bring over along with a slew of other parts (like touring bars), and I don't mind getting a bike that I can eventually put disc brakes on later on (so start with side pulls or cantis and change in the future when I need to build a new wheel).

Any and all opinions welcomed!

It's the year of the enema!