Old 08-11-20, 01:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10469 Post(s)
Liked 11,971 Times in 6,130 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable budget for a road bike that should be step (or two) above entry-level. When I was bike shopping a few months ago, the difference between a $1500 vs $2500 road bike was the frame and wheels in almost all cases. The more expensive bike should have a carbon frame and will probably have 105 components with disc brakes, and wheels that are tubeless ready. The less expensive bike will likely be an aluminum frame with rim brake wheels, although some will have disc brakes. Since your aim is to go fast, buy the carbon frame bike, since it will be more aerodynamic (and slightly lighter).

If it matters to you, all of the road bikes I found in the $2000-$3000 range only came with a compact (50/34) crankset, except for Canyon. If you think you need bigger gears, you will likely have to pay for bigger chainrings at some point.

Edit: I missed the part where you said you were planning to buy used. Don't do that just yet. Look online and see what is available new; there will be plenty of options for your price range. Specialized, Canyon, Trek, Cannondale, and Giant all have new, 105-equipped carbon road bikes in the $2500-$3000 range.
Good point! He should consider what kind of hills he has to climb and descend, his weight, and level of fitness. My Canyon has 56/36 and 11-34, and with the hills around here and my weight, I use ever last gear. I don't think I'd want anything lower than 36 x 34, and I actually use the 52 x 11. I find the 50 x 12 on my Bianchi is too small sometimes. But if I lived where there aren't hills, I'd never need more.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles