View Single Post
Old 07-27-19, 06:25 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
But I find it even more encouraging that rim brakes with Koolstop brake pads feel about as good as disc brakes...
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. I think this is going to be different depending on who you ask. I personally don't think Koolstops are remotely close to as nice as disks. Both brakes will lock up a wheel, but to me Koolstops modulate like **** compared to even "OK" disk brakes. I've tried Koolstops on a couple different brake set-ups because people recommend them. I gave them multiple chances. They just have such an "on or off" quality to them that I ended up donating two pair of barely used pads in a box of stuff to the local co-op. I think it's due to the very soft compound. Once they dig onto a rim, they just squish in and grip it. No slipping along the rim. Particularly the rear wheel goes from barely braking to skidding the tire. I've actually used the Jagwire pads and definitely prefer them to Koolstop. But rim brakes with organic compound pads are superior to both. And pad squealing is often related to pad compound. I've found it worth it to spend a little more on decent organic pads. Cheap disk pads squeal when they get wet.

That said, and as much as I love disk brakes, it sounds like rim brakes are probably just dandy for your needs. You aren't out bombing hills, zipping through traffic, hauling a lot of gear, etc. Rim brakes are fine for casual cruising along. The Koolstops might even be good for your use. If you aren't braking hard, you aren't going to lock a wheel. They might reduce the pressure you need to apply to the levers.

Last edited by 3speed; 07-27-19 at 06:30 PM.