jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Crazy ride last night.

I did a local shop ride last night to be social, and do something different. It was just a few of us; the leader (a shop employee) and some college kid were pretty fast, so it was fun.

Toward the end we are coming down Kearny Villa, a flat, fast, long and open road with a tailwind. Three of us are pacelining at ~30mph. While I'm on the front, taking a slightly extended pull, we come up on some big rocks in the bike lane, like softball-sized. By the time I had noticed them, I was already going through, fortunately I didn't hit any. Other two are tight on my wheel.

The third rider (shop employee, ride leader) hit one and went down. After a couple min. of laying down and calming down a bit, it was clear he had a broken collarbone - swelling, redness, and a clear protrusion from a displaced bone. Fortunately there wasn't significant damage to his bike or his body otherwise.

I feel kinda bad that I didn't notice them sooner, but sometimes they (road obstacles) just come up on ya. The whole time we had been pointing out obstacles and riding courteously. I don't feel personally responsible or guilty at all, just bad for the guy
Heard that... couple months ago I was on a night ride and saw the dude ahead pointing out the monster truck tires lying in the middle of the shoulder. Kinda didn't register for a second, brain was trying to process the wtf. Managed to swerve out of the way but still endovered, too heavy on the front brake. Was able to limp about 75k home afterwards.