View Single Post
Old 08-30-18, 05:27 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Fitness Aids in Recovery!

I had my 2 week follow up with my hip replacement surgeon today. He removed my incision bandage and staples. I still have substantial swelling over where my hip bounced off the asphalt. He said it really had to be a hard wallop based on how the head was completely broken off the femoral neck plus the outer skin had separated from the fatty tissue next layer. He wants to see if the body will absorb most of the fluid versus trying to evacuate it.

I’ve been fortunate with no pain medications post surgery. I’ve gone from a walker to a cane to walking without a cane. If I don’t try and speed walk my walking range is pretty good. All my PT exercises are pretty easy....

My surgeon did a great job. He used the most resilient materials he had available given my level of activity. He was very complimentary of my current progress and said I was where a lot of his patients strived to be at 6 weeks. I have to think being pretty fit has a lot to do with recovery. I’ve followed a lot of injured high activity people since I started riding and a common theme is folks who are in good shape tend to recover faster. It’s great to experience it first hand.

Below are my before and after X-rays. Note how the head is completely dislocated from the neck. No wonder my leg wasn’t working right after the crash!!