Old 07-16-19, 03:52 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What's really interesting about this setup recommendation is that it's a 180 from how the bars were originally designed to be used.
I'm not saying this setup is wrong at all, just commenting because it's interesting to me to see how products and style adjusts to users as time gives more a chance to try said products.

The extreme flare bars were designed to be ridden in the drops pretty much all the time, so the drops would be set level with the ground and higher up with more spacers.
But since current cyclists have a seemingly strong aversion to the drops and also because hoods are so comfortable, the bars are now often set so the ramps are more level which leaves the drops at a significant angle downward.
I'm guessing it limits how long the drops are ridden in, but makes the tops/ramps/hoods more comfortable.

Anyways, interesting how product use changes they time.
No, I ride in the drops primarily with all my drop bars. Either down on the flares for cruising or forward like normal when I need to brake/shift more frequently. This does make the hoods available for a climbing position though which I notice many people do not set up their wood chippers to allow.

Check the Salsa website, they reccomended a similar angle on the bars. I've never technically put a protractor on mine.