View Single Post
Old 04-03-20, 03:00 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by babie_lato

I would say that's a great option and let me translate the bit below for you and give you a bit of background information:

WordTravellerLady

Effortlessly circle the globe on the WordTravellerLady. A trekking/touring bike extraordinaire with the high quality of Koga-Miyata. The "oversized" tubing of the frame, made using high-quality materials, give the bike stable steering characteristics under all conditions and even using heavy loads. The WordTravellerLady is finished with the best parts with a focus on ease of use. Naturally this bike will be delivered with a very complete, specially selected set of accessories. Rightfully a highly qualified bicycle in its price range.
This was (and still is) a pretty damn light bicycle with its steel chromoly splined triple butted frame.
As shown in the catalog it probably weighed somewhere between 13.3 Kg (29 lbs) to 15.9 Kg (35 lbs) and that's pretty light with fenders, racks, kickstand and dynamo system.
That estimate is based on the weight of the 1986 Traveller Lady and the 1994 GlobeTravellerLady. I've seen a similar weight progression for my SilverAce.
At the time the bike cost around Hfl. 2240,- and that's about € 1814.- ($1958.-) in today's money

Put some modern wheels on there with lightweight tyres and you can make a really light commuter. I wouldn't worry too much about the tyre width. I have a Dutch bike that I put 28mm tyres on and that looks just fine, even though I could probably fit 40mm tyres with fenders. Don't be afraid to put 32mm tyres on there either. If you don't go for too bulky one they can still look really sleek.

I've put semi-drops on a similar bike for my girlfriend and she flies.

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-03-20 at 03:14 AM.