Old 04-03-20, 07:11 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by babie_lato
From the pages you posted I like this bike a lot and it's a good size (54cm). I know RIH bikes were mostly made with Reynolds 531 tubes but this one doesn't have any stickers. And I found an old post on this forum with an identical bike and someone saying it is hi-ten, so if it's true it's not so good right (at least in comparison to chromoly) right?
That is right, as I explained before, hi-ten is decent quality but not as good as chrome-moly and definitely not as good as double butted (triple and quad butted are essentially the same as double butted). I wouldn't get a 54cm if I was you, I'd hold out for a 57 because you are a pretty tall gal. The main problem with people not enjoying cycling is because they are not fit properly on their bicycle and the reason they aren't fit properly is because the dimensions of the frame don't allow it. If you don't get the right size, you have bought the wrong bike no matter how wonderful it is otherwise.

I'd get that Miyata. They are outstanding quality and it is your size. Getting the right bicycle is usually a journey for most of us and we don't get to the destination on our 1st bike. There are always some compromises buying any kind of production frame. There is a good chance it will work out nicely for you but if it doesn't you can take the experiences you learned and get something better the next time and sell what you had.

Fashions in tires have changed and fast riders have gone from wanting narrow 23/25mm tires to wider tires now. Even the pros want wider tires. The important thing is getting a very good quality tire and a 28 will be provide a bit more plush ride and look right on that Miyaya.

I've visited the RIH factory in Holland. The owner was very nice to me and provided me with some frame parts for the charity bicycle project we do in Ukraine. They quit making steel frames in the Netherlands because they could bring in aluminum frames from China at a much cheaper price. Don't confuse the 2 RIH companies in Holland. One is a custom maker in Amerserdam (I think) and the other is a production company in another part of the country.
Likes For Doug Fattic: