Old 03-29-21, 12:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10966 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Quick question since I'm already on a Shimano GRX setup, should I just go with the Shimano HG-50 vs the SRAM 1070, both 10 speed, 11-36t cassettes? I found the Shimano one for almost half off compared to the SRAM version. I'd presume the Shimano cassette would play nicer with the Shimano derailleur. Is there anything I'm missing?

On a side note I also have a set of 26" MTB disc wheels I was thinking that I could throw the old cassette on and use for rockier terrain. I was thinking it might be a cost effective way to get a second wheel set. Any issues I might find running 26" wheels on a 700c bike?
A Shimano cassette wont 'play better' with a Shimano drivetrain. There is 0 difference. Both Shimano and SRAM cassettes are designed to shift quickly and easily. To decide which you want, consider cost, appearance(some are silver vs gray vs black), and shifting gaps based on cog selection. If you really want a 12t cog and the Shimano goes from 11t to 13t, then you are out of luck. Thats just a general example. Some people really care about where the shifting gaps are located on a cassette and other people couldnt care less.

As for the 26" wheels, no harm in tossing em on and trying it out. The different wheelsize will change the steering feel, lower the bottom bracket which reduces clearance, and may or may not fit based on chainstay and seatstay bends. It doesnt hurt to try, but it also doesnt seem like you will gain much from it. If I am riding gravel roads and a 40-45mm tire isnt enough, then I would probably look at using an entirely different bike for the job.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 03-29-21 at 12:46 PM.
Likes For mstateglfr: