Old 04-04-21, 09:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Should be fairly obvious. Its a limp home system rather than race down steep hills on a flat system, like they make it appear at GCN. - And the price, I dunno, but combined with a TL tyre, that is already more expensive than clinchers, and sealant it does add up, especially if we are meant to replace the inserts at a yearly interval, at $40 per insert. Im sure lots couldn't care less, but the fear of flats and ppl insisting riding race day tyres, all the time, sure does drive a lot of business.

Me, I just put on a more robust clincher and ride. Haven't had a flat for ages and when I finally do, I pop in an new tube and be on my way in less time than I took to write this post :-) No special tools, other than my hands, a tyre lever and a basic pump is needed either.

Call me a luddite all you want, but this simply doesn't feel like real progress unlike SIS, hydraulic brakes, DI2, .. etc.
That’s it, that’s a winning strategy: “Nothing to see here, everyone! Ignore the stuff that might make your bike ride more enjoyable, and just use heavy, slow, tires like me. Stand with me, my fiends, on the side of a busy road in the rain and let’s fix our flats together with our bare hands and primitive tools!”

Lemme guess...does my reward for such existential deprivation earn reward in the afterlife? I know it’s not your place to say, but c’mon, man-to-man here, how many virgins do you think the Lord will grant me for sticking with innertubes?
Likes For chaadster: