View Single Post
Old 04-26-12, 12:07 PM
bbowdoin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike Help!

Hey guys I am new to the site and pretty much new to cycling in general. I have done a lot of research though and visited my LBS to try out a few bikes. However, I am still pretty lost. I am a student and live in Athens, GA. My main purpose of this bike would be basic day to day commutes - to school, work, downtown, etc (some areas are fairly hilly). It would be left unattended and locked outside of classrooms, restaurants, and places like that. I wouldn't need any type of racks i do not think because all I would carry with me is my backpack. I really love the look of older retro-looking road bikes. That being said, I have never been around road bikes to much and the style of riding is new to me - all I am familiar with is MTB. I am debating between getting a used road bike or looking into trying out a hybrid bike (which, at first at least, I would be more used to because of the upright positioning, etc, etc). I am thinking it wouldn't be all that hard to become accustomed to a road bike or even downtube shifters, though. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Which would be better for my overall use? Thanks