Old 09-20-19, 11:10 PM
squintz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
The only thing to do is go to the shop and start a conversation. This sucks for the shop, but if they're a dealer they should be able to get a fork in--the manufacturer might even help them with it to some degree. Its understandable that you're upset, but you're more likely to get a good result letting them know that you expected better, and are disappointed, and what you would like, calmly. They should work to resolve the situation to your satisfaction regardless, but it doesn't hurt to make them personally want to make things right.

If I were guessing you're probably using Sram brakes (as they're the only road hydraulic system using DOT fluid) which is fairly corrosive. It's very unlikely to be from cleaning post bleed (almost certainly they used isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol). If they did a fairly reasonable job cleaning they may persue warranty with the manufacturer--really, paint shouldn't discolor or mar unless they left significant amounts of DOT on the fork. Also if the bike shipped with lines so short that the stock stem and handlebars can't be put in the highest configuration without binding, then that's really a manufacturing problem and should be resolved under warranty covering parts and a labor credit (I just did exactly this at work a few weeks ago).

If this happened where I was working I'd try to get as much out of the manufacturer as I could. Really none of this would've happened if the bike shipped correctly.

To be honest, if you're the kinda customer dropping $5k on a bike, unless you're a real jerk, they should be trying to convince you that they hold high standards and take care of their customers.

Thanks for the feedback. This was the plan in my mind - I do like the shop owner, he's a small one man shop that has only been around a few years.

There is more to the story that makes this a little weird. This is a dura-ace setup (thanks for the heads-up on Sram), and when I arrived to pick-up the bike the he said the brake pads were causing a squelching so he swapped them out. When I arrived home, I noticed the disc was incorrect (and then the paint) - he had swapped my RT900 for a used RT800. I called the shop and the owner said that he had swapped it to see if it would fix the squelching and forgot to swap them back - he also said not to worry and that they were the same (not sure what that meant, functionality???...one is silver and one is black). I told him I would like it to match the rear so I would be coming by to pick it up.

After accessing, my guess is that either he accidentally made a mess which contaminated the brakes and covered the fork with mineral oil...even more surprising because the brake pads and wheel should have been removed if he was swapping out brake cables. I also did not mention that the brakes weren't bled properly, might just do it myself and not mention it. Several issues here and he is definitely going to feel he is being called out.

Uggh...this is not going to be fun, starting to think this might be just rookie mistakes from an unseasoned shop.

BTW, this bike was a heck of a deal but still spent a lot. Found the exact bike I was looking for and it had just become 2019 closeout.

Last edited by squintz; 09-20-19 at 11:17 PM.